Karlsruhe/Bexbach. In the context of constructive discussions on the prospects and interests of the two companies in the location of Bexbach, EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG and STEAG GmbH have agreed the takeover of EnBW's share in the Bexbach Power Station. EnBW currently holds 75 percent of the Bexbach Power Station and STEAG, that owns the remaining 25 percent, is the operator of the power station. The transfer of EnBW's shares, including the electricity purchase rights in the Bexbach Power Station, has been scheduled for 1 January 2015. The parties have agreed to keep the purchase price confidential.
EnBW views the sale of its shares in the Bexbach Power Station as another step in the process of its "EnBW 2020" strategic realignment. In the area of generation, this process entails focusing on expanding renewable energies, on the one hand, while streamlining the generation portfolio as part of the disinvestment strategy, on the other.
Bexbach Power Station was commissioned in 1983 and, with a gross electrical output of 780 megawatts, is the power station on the Saar River with the highest performance. It is a situated in the eastern part of Saarland close to the Federal State border with Rhineland-Palatinate.